Hooray…another “What if” section!
So here’s the deal. One day, while I was talking to one of my coworkers from one of my jobs, I found myself engaged into a discussion of what kids were watching these days (the person I was talking to was a mother of two kids after all). Of course, she started enumerating shows that I’m sure a majority of people would recognize immediately…shows like Spongebob Squarepants (and all related things from Nickelodeon), a couple of shows from Cartoon Network, and of course the usual Japanese hits like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and some shit that I would have never laid my eyes on (not at least at my current age anyway). Then she mentioned Spirited Away and Ghost in the Shell….well, okay that last part was a lie. But if that would have happened on that boring mundane day, I would have felt much more awake (in surprise) than I would have been after chugging down several cups of coffee.
There’s also the undeniable fact that, while most of the people I know at the aniblogosphere range somewhere between the ages of late-teens to maybe mid-twenties and are indeed single, there’s a few I know that are married and even fewer…married with kids (yes ghostlightning, your inclusion to this category is mandatory as of a few weeks ago). Well, the point is, I can’t stop wondering how those children would react (assuming that they themselves would come to adore all things anime, manga, etc) if they found out that their parents are die-hard fans of all things anime, manga, etc. Come to think of, I really don’t have a clue how on things would have turned out if parents enjoy the very same thing I enjoy. Well then, let’s get down speculations…
- No more strange looks every time they see you watch anime - After all these years, I thought one of my parents would have accepted this hobby of ours, and yet every now and then I get strange looks that pretty much say “are you my child?” Perhaps things would have been different if they were in to the same thing. Then again, I do give them the same exact look whenever they’re into something that’ illogical for me. Ah well..must be mutual.
- Expensive figures will be yours for presents -
Oh hell yes. With this, I no longer have to contemplate on buying figures. All I need to do is be a good kid and somehow make birthdays come more than once a year. If I do that and… boom! Figures galore…
- Getting them periodic manga anthology magazines would be treated as any other monthly magazine subscription-
Pretty much the same as figures…no need to get a-spending.
- Anime/Manga conventions are a family get-together thing - The only reason I put this here is because I don’t have to spend on anything. I just need to ask parents for a simple favor which I know by all means they’ll understand. Otherwise…
- Freakshow family – It’s bad enough that you have a parent who looks down upon you and anything anime-related; It might be worse if other people look down on you as a family.
- Means of punishment-
This one’s easy. Technically, because you have parents who know pretty much what you’re up to when you do anything anime,manga,etc-related, they can use this a means of punishment. Of course, I’m way past the age of penalties…I’m just stating the possibility.
- Not being able to tell which one is worse between your father catching you watching hentai or you catching your father watching hentai-
Need I say more?
- Anime/Manga conventions are a family get-together thing – Like I said earlier, the only good thing about this point is how you are able to have free stuff, well in theory at least. Other than that, it’s kind of weird to have your parents follow you around conventions.
Of course, we have to keep in mind these are speculations from my own perspective…so some of the things here might/might not make sense to people depending on who you’re asking. And while any of these instances are unlikely, they are by no means impossible.
Personally, I’d rather not have such parents no matter how the advantages outweigh the disadvantages (if they really do outweigh them). I don’t know…it’s just…
There’s a new poll about this by the way. Check the sidebar nauuuhhhw!!!!