So you find out that there’s countless aniblogs out there by visiting aggregators like Anime Nano, Otaku.FM, and whatnot; even more so when you visit one blog since one will eventually lead to shitloads of others. One thing that can be said with much certainty (although it is rather unfortunate that I do not have statistical data to back what I’m saying) is that aniblogging, as well as popularity of anime itself, is growing exponentially. Surprisingly, there’s still a considerable amount of people who most likely never even heard of such things (even more surprising is how these people could be the ones you hang out with the most).
Getting straight to the point, what if anibloggers out there were to tell the unsuspecting individuals that they operate an anime blog? Of course, the process of doing so achieves two things…(1) declaring yourself as an anime fan and (2) declaring the fact that you own a blog. Obviously, cases vary for each individual; nevertheless there has to be similarities, right?
So here goes an experiment/list of observations/survey which brought together a bunch of reactions I got from random samples of people in real life. Do note that this list is a mix of intentional and unintentional attempts to let these people know of my aniblogging (and/or anime and/or blogging. Do also note that while I did not maintain a list of these things every time I get a reaction , I pretty much remember what they’ve told me word for word (apparently, I have good memory for junk information). So with much confidence, I can say that the accuracy of this list is 99%…with 1% error allotted in case I was drugged or something during those times. And oh yeah, these do not necessarily include every instance that happened to me.
A Compilation of Reactions
You want to blog about anime? That’s so cool! I want in!
– said by a friend who wrote a couple of times for Chirping Crickets.
You blog? You serious?
- said by a friend I hanged around with since high school, who’s apparently also an anime fan.
My friend, Mark, is asking where you could download full episodes of Gundam Seed.
- said by a parent referring to his friend (married with two kids, both younger than 10 years) who is a big collector of Gundam figures
You own a website that hosts anime blogs? Is that what you spend most of your time?
- said by the same parent
- said by the same parent after explaining how I use that website to learn some web design techniques
What are you doing? You watch anime? Do you watch InuYasha?!
- said by one my my school’s computer lab technician as he saw me editing php for a WordPress theme.
Do you blog Naruto and Bleach?
- said by a classmate, whose knowledge in anime is most likely limited by those two series. I hate to say it but I simply cannot help but yell out “weaboo”
Why do you love those Chinese cartoons so much?
- said by a classmate of mine back in high school. I was LOLing so hard when he said Chinese.
Blogging is a waste of time.
- said by a fellow schoolmate about a couple of weeks ago…only to find out her Technical Report Writing professor required her class to make an active blog as a project. LOLOLOLOL!
My favorite anime is Avatar!
- said by a random bystander as my (non-ignorant) friends were discussing among each other about how Code Lyoko is not an anime. FAIL!
Hey, I own a blog too!
- said by a classmate I had since a long time ago who lives halfway around the world from me. Of course, the blog is not pertaining to anime. But hey, a blog is a blog.
Anime blogging? You mean you write about those cartoon girls with gigantic boobs?
- said by another friend whom I thought was incapable of saying boobs…it’s always the silent one isn’t it?
You have a site specifically for blogging? That’s cool! Maybe you can run one for us as well.
- said by a higher-up at work when she asked if I can help with the company’s website
You watch and blog anime? But I thought you have your hands tied up by school and work and stuff.
- said by a friend of mine who’s actually right by the way..
I originally intended to write a list hoping to get a decent pattern on these people’s varying reactions; obviously, I failed. Oh well..
And now, a poll…
How many Fall 2009 Anime shows are you going to watch on a timely basis?
- 1-5. I'm a casual viewer (37%, 49 Votes)
- 6-10. I'm an average viewer (31%, 41 Votes)
- 15+. I'm hardcore, bro (10%, 13 Votes)
- 10-15. I want to know what everyone else will be talking about (9%, 12 Votes)
- All. I have no life and/or am just fucking good at time management (9%, 12 Votes)
- None. They all suck (4%, 5 Votes)
Total Voters: 132